Redmund Spur takes its name from a paddock name used for years as part of the van Asch family farm. The family has been associated with this land since 1926, when Gerrit van Asch first acquired a lease of the farm.
Since that time the farm has undergone many changes. Originally an extensive grazing property the farm was soon improved and even included a herd of dairy cows as one of the many small local dairy farms that supplied milk to the rapidly growing Christchurch City. As farming practices and economic and social times changed the property developed into a sheep and beef farm, and later included deer in the area that is now Redmund Spur. Small farm woodlots and other amenity planting were also established over the many years the van Asch family has enjoyed stewardship of this land.
Many of the oak trees growing along the Cashmere Road boundary grew from acorns collected from a large and timeworn tree close to the old farm cottages. Today the upper slopes above the new sections remain part of a well-established farm, providing a peaceful backdrop for the new residents of Redmund Spur.
Previous generations of the family had identified the possibility of residential development of the property as far back as the 1950s, with the combination of gentle slopes, good soils, a northerly aspect with wonderful views and the location close to the city providing an appealing vision for the future.